Whether you’re just curious about where you live or you are looking to move somewhere you feel safe, a neighborhood safety check can be a valuable tool. Some relatively simple steps can help you build a pretty accurate assessment of your neighborhood.
- Check out a crime map like those created on SpotCrime.com or CrimeReports.com
- Be aware of any nearby sex offenders through Family Watch Dog and/or the National Sex Offender Public Website.
- See if your community has a neighborhood watch program or anything additional to the police force.
- Look around the neighborhood for any dangerous looking areas. Also note whether the streets are well lit and if you see police cars around.
- See how many homes are for sale in the area.
- Talk to people in the area to see what they have experienced in the neighborhood.
- Call the police station to ask about safety and crime on your street or in your complex.
What do you look for in a safe neighborhood.