Back to school can be a stressful time for young children and parents alike. In addition to buying new supplies and making sure their clothes still fit, there are some little things you can do to decrease stress and increase safety for your kids on their first day.
- Have a first day outfit picked and laid out the night before.
- Choose a comfortable and safe backpack and make sure it’s packed and ready to go before the first day.
- If your children are used to waking up at a different time than they will need to for school, spend a couple of weeks preparing for and adjusting to the change.
- If your kids walk to school or ride their bikes, practice the route with them.
Start Off Right:
- Make sure your children wake up on time or a little earlier than usual so there is no rushing.
- Ensure that healthy breakfast options exist either at school or at home.
- Speak to your children encouragingly about school.
- Talk to your kids about safety tips.
- For younger children it might be nice to take them to the bus stop or drop them at school on the first day if possible.
- As a driver, make sure you obey school zone speed limits and school bus laws. Be on the watch for children walking to the bus stop or to school.