Every October, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) hosts Fire Prevention Week to bring attention to important fire safety issues. There are many ways that you can help prevent fires in your home. Every year they highlight one of those aspects.
To understand how important Fire Prevention Week, it is important to understand the impact and frequency of residential fires. Here are some statistics about fires in 2014.
- A civilian dies from a fire every 2 hours and 41 minutes
- 87% of those deaths are caused by home fires
- Every 86 seconds one home structure fire was reported
- Fire caused $11.6 billion in property damage
- Only 53% of homes have working smoke alarms
- Fires in homes with working smoke alarms had lower death rates
Throughout the week we will bring you helpful information about how you can fire detection and safety. Follow the Guardian Blog by filling out the form in the sidebar on the right and be updated by email when we post new content.