You might not want to think about it yet, but now is the time to start preparing for winter weather if you live in an area where snow is common. The earlier you stock up on your cold weather supplies, the better your chances of not being caught unprepared.
The following list details some things you should make sure you have. Review your family’s inventory and use these suggestions to build a shopping list.
- Flashlights and batteries
- Car safety/emergency kit
- Salt, ashes, or sand for icy driveways and sidewalks
- Surplus of food, water, and medications
- Safe space heater
- Over-the-counter meds in case of winter illnesses
- Warm/insulated coats and accessories
- Snow shovels or other removal equipment
- Heating fuel (if your home requires it)
- A family communication plan