Did you know that your security system keypad might have a weather alert feature? Just like you probably are notified of extreme weather on your smartphone, your security keypad may also offer you a similar notification. If it has this feature built-in, your keypad will emit a tone denoting that the National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a severe weather warning in your area. Becoming aware of a possible dangerous weather situation can help you be better prepared for it.
Though you may be used to calling Guardian when you hear your alarm go off, this is not advised in the case of a weather alert. Guardian’s monitoring center may not be aware of every weather risk in your area. Also, the monitoring center is not notified when your weather alert sounds; this alert is purely to help you and your family know that a weather event may be coming. If you have a situation where you need help from emergency personnel, you can click the emergency button on your keypad to be connected with our monitoring center.
Hearing any tone coming from your security keypad can be scary! After all, you expect your alarm to be sounding when something bad is happening, like a break-in! The tone that you hear signaling a weather alert should sound different than what you are used to hearing from your keypad. Here’s what you should do if you hear your keypad going off with a different tone than, for instance, when you test your system.
- If you feel safe getting to your keypad, go to it. It will give you more information about the weather alert.
- Check other weather sources on your phone or on the news if you need additional information.
- Turn off the alert on your keypad. Once you’ve gotten the info you need to know, you can silence the alert right from your keypad. This process can vary depending on your keypad’s model. If you have any questions, you can call Guardian’s customer service department at 1-800-PROTECT and they can walk you through the process.
- Proceed appropriately for the type of weather alert. For example, if it’s a tornado warning, make sure your family moves to the basement or other safe location in your home.
- Stay safe until the weather has passed.
We’ve heard some great true stories from our customers about how weather alerts helped them stay safe. Weather alerts allowed one such family to become aware of a dangerous situation and helped protect them and prepare for the worst. Because they were warned by their alarm system, Ciegi and her husband moved to the basement to remain safe and slept there for about an hour. They kept themselves updated on the weather and the warning cleared. Read Ciegi’s story to learn more.
If you want to learn more about weather alerts or see if they are turned on for your system, you can call Guardian’s customer service department at 1-800-PROTECT.