If you have just recently had your system installed, there is a lot to remember. During your installation and orientation, you were taught many facts and features about your system, and we wanted to offer a refresher on the things you need to know. It’s always good to have an easy reference for the basics.
7-Day Orientation Period
Once your security system is installed and activated, it will be in “orientation” mode so that you have some time to get used to using your system. You’ll be able to get comfortable with the functionality of your new system without worrying about false alarms and related fines. During this time, Guardian will call only your primary phone number when your system sends a burglary, medical or panic alarm signal and we will notify emergency responders only if you request it. If you feel comfortable enough to turn off the orientation feature, you can contact us at 1-800-PROTECT and we’ll turn it off unless doing so violates a local municipal ordinance. If you have a monitored smoke or carbon monoxide detector, those alarm signals will be treated normally and we will alert emergency responders when we receive this type of signal from your system, regardless of the orientation period.
Arming and Disarming Your System
When your system is armed, it will set off an alarm if the door/windows are opened. You can choose to set your system to Arm (Stay) which is best if you are in the home and arming the system or Arm (Away) if no one is at home. To enter or leave your home, you must disarm it. Arming and disarming can be done from your keypad by entering your passcode and choosing Arm (Stay), Arm (Away) or Disarm. You can also Arm and Disarm from the Guardian App on your internet-connected smartphone which is even more convenient.
If you accidentally set off your system because you forgot to disarm it, don’t worry! You can enter your passcode in your keypad within 30 seconds to cancel the alarm. If you don’t do this, Guardian will call the number you have on file and you can let them know that it’s a false alarm so they don’t dispatch emergency personnel.
Setting Up Notifications
To make sure your system is working for your personal needs, you can set up notifications so you know what’s going on in your home. Here are just a couple of notifications you can set up by logging into myguardianhome.com.
Arming Reminders- Be notified if you leave your home and forget to arm your system
No Show Alert-Set up an alert so you are notified if someone is expecting to enter your home during a specific timeframe they do not show up.
Device Notifications- Almost every device in your home can have notifications associated with them.
Unexpected Activity- Get notified when activity that doesn’t usually happen occur to provide home awareness.
Alarm Alerts- Make sure you get a notification when an alarm is going off. You will also get a call to your numbers on file, but notifications provide instant awareness wherever you have your internet-connected smartphone.
Testing Your System
As a reference, your last system test date appears on your personalized Customer Care Dashboard. Your system type may also be indicated. You can complete a communication test via the Testing link in your Customer Care Dashboard. Log in now. Remember: it is important to test your system once a month, anytime phone work has been done on your system, or one week prior to vacation.
If you do not wish to log in and do not know your system type, follow these test instructions:
- Please have your password ready and call Guardian’s Central Station at 1-800-280-4191.
- Give your name, address, and password, and state that you would like to test your security system. Guardian will put your system in a “TEST” mode so the police are not alerted while you are testing.
- Arm your system using an “INSTANT” arming mode to avoid your Entry/Exit Delay time.
- Activate your security system by simply opening a protected door or window, or walk through a motion detector area.
- Your siren will sound. Allow it to sound for a full 30 seconds.
- Turn your system off as usual. You can use this time to test your panic buttons or emergency signals.
- Hang up your phone. Your phone line will be dead while your security system is communicating with Guardian’s Central Station.
- When your dial tone returns, call Central Station and confirm that they have received your signals.
- Reset your keypad.
- After completing the test, ask your representative to take your system off “TEST” to resume 24-hour monitoring.
If you have any questions, call 1-800-PROTECT.