Online shopping can make your holidays much easier. You can basically shop for anyone on your list from anywhere you have a mobile device and internet access. Online shopping can also allow you to cross-reference prices and score extra coupon codes to get the best deal. When you’re shopping online, there are some safety considerations that can help you receive your order safely and without issue.
Security Tips Before You Order
- Always look into the legitimacy of the site. Look for outside reviews of the site to make sure it’s not a scam.
- Pay attention to prices; If you find something that’s way cheaper than it is anywhere else, it might be too good to be true.
- Look for “https” rather than “http” because it indicates a certain level of security. You’ll often see a padlock icon and green color in the URL bar. Learn more.
- Use sites that you’ve used before or that someone you know has used.
- Take shipping costs into account when price shopping.
Security Concerns While Ordering
- Make sure you’re on a private Wi-Fi network, preferably in your own home. The encryption helps protect your data and prevent identity theft.
- Purchase on your laptop/desktop rather than mobile device if possible to prevent malware.
- If you are creating an account to purchase an item, use variable passwords and change them regularly.
- Keep track of purchases and shipping notifications to make sure everything is on schedule.
- Cross reference purchases with your credit/debit card statements to make sure that there aren’t any unaccounted withdrawals.
- Pay attention to any emails from the website you ordered from as it may be important order info.
- Watch out for porch pirates when your packages are delivered. An HD Video Doorbell can help.