It is recommended that you test your system once a month. Remodeling or renovating your home or making changes to your telephone landline/internet/ broadband service can impact your security system, so it’s best to always test after any of these things occur. Also, before going on vacation, testing your system can help you have peace of mind before you leave. Testing allows you to check that your system is communicating with Guardian’s monitoring center as expected.
To help ensure that your system is communicating, the system automatically sends a silent signal from your security panel to the monitoring center on a regular basis, ranging from every 24 hours to every 28 days. Frequency is determined by the system type – cellular-based systems send silent signals every 24 hours while telephone landline-based systems send every 28 days. Guardian notifies you if your system fails to communicate.
Testing your system on your own lets you know immediately if it is communicating to the monitoring center. You can choose to do a partial test or a full test. A partial test is done by placing the system in alarm or initiating the communication test from the keypad. This tells you whether your security panel is communicating to the monitoring center. A full test tells you whether all devices that signal the monitoring center — such as keypads, monitored door and window sensors and motion, heat and smoke detectors — are communicating. A full test is an especially good idea if you have had any work done, as described above.
Testing is simple. You can find the directions for testing your system online right in your Online Account. When you test your system online, you will see a message telling you the last time your system was tested. Remember that cameras, including HD video doorbells, can only be tested by personally viewing them and not by this method.
Testing Through Your Online Account
- Log in to your Online Account and locate the “Your Activity” portion of the page.
- Click the “Test System” button, placing your system in Test Status. Leave the Test page open in your browser.
- Check your email. You will receive a notification that your system is in Test Status.
- Once you receive the email, arm your alarm system and wait until the time delay has completed.
- Open a door or window monitored by your alarm system. Once the siren activates wait at least 60 seconds, then disarm your system.
- The test period will automatically expire in 30 minutes. You will receive an email containing test signals received during the time that you have the Test Page open.
Remember: If you receive notifications through Interactive Services (MyGuardianHome, MyGuardianControl or MyGuardianConnect), you and your users will receive notifications while testing.
Testing Your System Without Using Your Online Account
To avoid the notification of emergency responders, call 1-800-PROTECT (1-800-776-8328) and request to have your account placed in ‘test’ mode. Our representative will then guide you through the process, which is five fast steps…
- Set your alarm system and wait until the time delay has completed.
- Open a door or window monitored by your alarm system. Once the siren activates wait at least 45-seconds then disarm your system.
- If you are disconnected from our representative (the alarm system may seize the telephone line) call 1-800-PROTECT back as soon as your telephone line returns to obtain the result of your test.
- Ask your representative to take your system off “TEST” to resume 24-hour monitoring
- Reset your keypad.