Home » Security Products » 3 Trends Shaping Home Security and Automation in 2018

3 Trends Shaping Home Security and Automation in 2018

2018 will surely bring even more changes and adaptations to the home security and smart home industries. Guardian pays close attention to industry trends to make sure that we bring both new and long-time customers the best, most reliable offerings possible.  The following three trends have been growing throughout 2017 and will likely be guiding forces in 2018.

1. DIY Home Security vs. Professional Security System

In 2017, do-it-yourself offerings have become more popular in the home security and smart home market. Companies like Nest and Google have been expanding their smart home options to include affordable security. With these new players, a growing concern on what sort of service you want/need for your home security has arisen. Many do-it-yourself brands have focused on low prices and web resources meaning an individual has to do the bulk of the work to install and troubleshoot their systems. These systems often don’t include a security professional’s view when it comes to the vulnerabilities of a home and, in some cases, they don’t even include monitoring .

More traditional companies have been doubling down on what they offer providing expert installation and repair service to give you ease and peace of mind. Along with this, traditional companies differentiate themselves with the quality of their monitoring services, which provides contact between the alarm and emergency personnel. In 2018, choosing a security provider will be based on finding a provider that truly fits your needs and the level of service you desire.

2. Integrated Home Security Systems

Seamless integrations have become an important factor when it comes to purchasing home security and smart home devices. With the rise of voice control devices like Amazon Echo and Google home, consumers want their many smart devices to be able to work together. The security industry is no different. Guardian is one of many security systems that’s integrated with Amazon Echo and Google Home this year.

It’s easy to buy several cheap, smart devices to accomplish daily tasks more efficiently in order to make your life a little less hectic, but if each device only works individually and requires its own app, then their convenience decreases significantly. Security system and smart home providers will be looking for ways to expand integrations with popular devices so they work together more easily and effectively as part of a system. Another important part of these integrated systems is the ability for future upgrades and expansions. Security providers will likely be considering more a-la-carte/add-on items for their systems, which can be beneficial, but only if the individual devices are of high quality and truly secure.

3. Secure Cloud Options

Nowadays, more people are living with their information in “the cloud.” When it comes to security though, “the cloud” can be dangerous. When it comes to things like video security, the average consumer wants the ability to securely save a lot of video. Some cloud-based options may be more secure than others, and these concerns will continue to grow and be an important part of the home security and smart home landscape. Fear of hacking will only increase as more information is shared through the internet, and cyber security will become a part of many industries in 2018, if it isn’t already.

Options like the Streaming Video Recorders (SVRs) offer the accessibility and storage ability of the cloud but with the security of a local device when it comes to storing and viewing surveillance video. These kinds of options should grow in visibility and popularity in 2018 as information security becomes more important to consumers.

2018-07-03T13:14:44+00:00 Security Products|

27 Comments

1. Judith Sweeney January 10, 2018 at 6:09 pm - Reply

Good to see Guardian is researching and developing.

2. Manos Semertzides January 10, 2018 at 6:20 pm - Reply

Do you have any documentation on how I can get my system to work with Amazon Alexa?

• kgarmong January 11, 2018 at 1:59 pm - Reply

Hi Manos,

I will have someone reach out to you with the documentation specific to your system.

Sincerely,
      Katelyn G.
      Customer Satisfaction Advocate

• Christian Chevez January 11, 2018 at 4:40 pm

I need this too, some documentation on how to integrate with my Amazon Echo

• Emmett Fleeson January 12, 2018 at 12:00 am

I just received an Amazon echo spot for Christmas and would love to have my system set up with it as I already have my satilite dish connected to my echo

• Keith Bajura January 12, 2018 at 6:39 pm

I am also trying to get my system to work with Alexa. My I can’t link the Alexa skill because it says my password is wrong. But I can log into customercare.guardianprotection.com and the Total Connect mobile app just fine.

• kgarmong January 12, 2018 at 7:08 pm

Hi Keith, unfortunately the Alexa integration does not work with the Total Connect platform at this time. You can only use the Guardian skill if you use the Alarm.com platform. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Justin Schweda January 16, 2018 at 4:55 pm

I would also like documentation on the Amazon echo.

Justin

3. Bart Palamara January 10, 2018 at 7:04 pm - Reply

Thanks for taking the time to get this out. I’m unclear about how Guardian plans to upgrade existing systems, especially those that have been around for a few years. Will the integration you’re referring to require the purchase of new equipment (e.g., keypads) to be effective? Also, I dropped video monitoring because of the unreliability of the cameras installed just 2 or 3 years ago, have they improved? Finally, in terms of hacking I’ve read that wireless sensors can be overcome by knowing which system we have in use (facilitated by our yard sign), what steps has Guardian taken to address this?

• kgarmong January 11, 2018 at 1:58 pm - Reply

Great question, Bart. I think this is a good topic for another blog post. Most of your questions are dependent on specific piece of technology that can vary among our customer base, but I assure you that we are always working to offer upgrades when necessary and help protect our customers from any risks. Our technology tends to be very flexible in that it doesn’t need to be upgraded constantly and we only offer new technology if it has been tested as safe and reliable. If you’d like to discuss further, please reach out to wecare@gpsx.net.

Sincerely,
      Katelyn G.
      Customer Satisfaction Advocate

4. David Febbraro January 10, 2018 at 9:53 pm - Reply

It would be very nice to have someone come to my home to check my system.. I know this can be done by yourself but having a technica person here every so often to do it for you is what is needed. Also having him come here to discuss other products that are out there for my home. Doorbell camera, Amazon Echo hookups. Why does that All not happen with such a huge Security company?

• kgarmong January 11, 2018 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Hi David, Typically the way our systems work any issues will be noticeable by you and/or our monitoring center so we don’t typically send out technicians for check ups. If you’d like to have a discussion with a representative about other products/services, feel free to call 1-800-PROTECT.

5. Andre Johnson January 11, 2018 at 9:11 am - Reply

I’m very excited about you guys upgrading your system. Yes, I integrate into my home when available to home owners! CAN’T WAIT TO SEE!!!

6. tom January 11, 2018 at 5:30 pm - Reply

When will the Simon Xti system be integrated with alexa.

• kgarmong January 11, 2018 at 6:18 pm - Reply

The Simon Xti should work with the Alexa already. You can learn more here: https://blog.guardianprotection.com/2017/04/10/enable-the-guardian-skill-for-the-amazon-echo/

• Happy Automation January 16, 2018 at 5:44 pm

,I fully integrated my Guardian alarm and home automation system with alexa using the alarm.com skill vs. the Guardian skill. They are exactly the same except for the words used:

“ask alarm.com to…”
        vs.
        “ask Guardian to…”

Same exact functionality, all command are the same. Pay special attention to how you name various devices such as lights. For example, instead of “livingroom ceiling light” separate “livingroom” to “living room”. Alexa has problems with 2 words together. Another example use the name “living room fire place” instead of “fireplace”.

The other suggestion is to start the name of every device by room. For example we have “kitchen ceiling” light and “kitchen island” light. We can turn on each individual light… or we can say:

“alexa, ask alarm.com today turn off the kitchen lights” in which case both lights prefixed with kitchen are turned off. For a single light you must use the word LIGHT and for multiple you must use the plural word LIGHTS.

Everything works great. We have one echo and two echo dots in the home and can do anything with home automation.

7. Heather Bovard January 11, 2018 at 5:36 pm - Reply

How can I find out more information about integrating my system with Amazon Dot?

8. Tina January 11, 2018 at 5:54 pm - Reply

I called last summer to inquire on having camera installed in my home, the equipment was quite pricey, I wondered if there are any specials or better prices now?

• kgarmong January 11, 2018 at 6:10 pm - Reply

Quality cameras aren’t cheap, typically, but if you’re interested I can put you in contact with one of our representatives to talk about the possibility of a deal. Reach out to wecare@gpsx.net.

Sincerely,
      Katelyn G.
      Customer Satisfaction Advocate

9. Leon Woods January 12, 2018 at 5:10 pm - Reply

Can I intergrate my Amazon Echo with my Guardian Protection Service?

10. JH January 12, 2018 at 6:51 pm - Reply

How much will the upgrade cost and will the monthly fee increase? Can one chose whether or not to accept the upgrade? Will someone call to set up an appointment for the upgrade?

• kgarmong January 12, 2018 at 7:02 pm - Reply

Hi JH, There is no specific upgrade that is necessary or required at this time. If you are interested in upgrading, you can contact us at 1-800-PROTECT.

11. John Stephens January 12, 2018 at 11:51 pm - Reply

Took all of 30 seconds to enable my account. Arms my system from my bedroom. Great …

12. Lori J. Prescott January 13, 2018 at 12:31 pm - Reply

I have the echo dot with Alexa Is this compatible with my guardian system and if so how do I set it up.

Thank You.

13. Brian January 16, 2018 at 1:03 am - Reply

With Guardian expanding their system for users to add the Alexa feature, is it possible for users to add alarm.com approved home automation devices (light switches, receptacle, thermostats) without the need for a tech to come to the house?

• kgarmong January 16, 2018 at 6:29 pm - Reply

Brian, at this time we only support Guardian installed devices. If you have any questions, please contact 1-800-PROTECT.

Sincerely,