Instagram Stories allow you to capture images and videos, add text and emojis to create a multimedia story. Usually you use this feature to tell about your day or somewhere you’re traveling. For the Guardian Protection Services Annual Scholarship, we are asking entrants to tell a different kind of story about how the technology in their lives could be smarter. If you’re not sure what the Guardian Protection Services Annual Scholarship is, you can learn more here.
Instagram stories are typically temporary, so to enter the Guardian Protection Services Annual Scholarship, you’ll have to save it as a highlight or a video. Need help figuring how to configure your entry? We’ve got the help you need.
How to Make an Instagram Story Entry
Plan out your story ahead of time. Once you start posting your story, you need to complete it in 24 hours, so it’s best if you have a plan of all the pictures, words and images you want to use. You also need to make sure that you post your story on a day when you won’t be publishing personal items or they will get mixed up in your entry.
Creating an Instagram Story
- Start your story by clicking the “+” on your profile image either on your profile or at the top of your feed. This will let you take a photo or video clip live or access one saved on your phone, just as if you were posting a regular post.
- Once you have taken your photo or video clip, you can add text, draw or add stickers/hashtags/locations/ mentions etc. Be creative and use any element that helps you tell your story.
- Remember that you will need at least 10 photos and/or video clips for your entry to qualify. When you are finished with the photos and/or video clips choose the “+ Your Story” on the bottom of your screen.
- Once you have completed your entry, you will save your story as a Highlight by navigating to your profile and choosing “New” under “Story Highlights”
- Your story should appear associated with the date as an option to highlight. Select the story and choose “Next.”
- You will be able to name your highlight. You can name it something like “Guardian Scholarship Entry.” You can also choose a cover photo of your choice or stay with the default.
- Choose “Add” and your highlight will be attached to your profile. You’ll need to keep that highlight live until January 31, 2019.
Submitting Your Entry
- Submitting your story as a scholarship entry can happen two different ways depending on whether your Instagram account is set to Public or Private.
- DM @guardianprotection with the phrase “My Highlight for entry is now live on Instagram,” your name, your full USPS mailing address, your phone number, your email address, and the name of the school you plan to attend and the field of study you will pursue.
- Be sure to keep your story as a “Highlight” for the extent of the contest period.
- Save your story as a video on your phone. Click into your Story, Click the “…” in the bottom right corner of your screen and choose “Save” and “Save Story”
- DM @guardianprotection with the video clip that you’ve created.
- Also include your name, your full USPS mailing address, your phone number, your email address, and the name of the school you plan to attend and the field of study you will pursue.
For more help with Instagram Stories, visit Instagram’s Help Center
Frequently Asked Questions
If you haven’t read the rules and regulations for the scholarship, do that first! These help you understand who qualifies for the scholarship and how to apply.
What if I don’t have Instagram?
For this scholarship, we are focusing on the Instagram platform because it reflects the modern, smart technology world we live in. Because of that, entries can only be submitted through Instagram. Making an Instagram profile is free and your account can be Public or Private and this allows many different types of students to have access. You can create a new account to enter this contest, if needed.
Can I submit multiple entries?
You may only submit one entry per year and you may only win once. We want to see your best shot, so pick your favorite idea and give it all you’ve got!
What do you mean by “technology” in the question: “Tell us how the technology in your life could be even smarter than it is today”?
We want to see how you interpret the word “technology”, but just remember, there is more technology around you than just your computer/tablet/phone. Think outside of the box to think of something that could really improve your life by being smarter! We encourage you to dream big and think innovatively. You don’t have to know if it’s actually possible to make your item smarter, just envision what it would be like, and what life would be like, if it was.
Can I take photos or video clips off the internet for my entry?
You cannot take photos, or video clips from the internet to use for your entry. You need to have taken and own the rights to all of the photos, and video clips in your entry. Be creative!
Can I work with other people on my scholarship?
All entries are only for one person so you cannot enter the contest together with another person. You can use photos, images, and/or videos of a friend/ family member who gives you express written permission to use their image in your contest.
What if I am an exchange student studying in the U.S.?
Currently we are only able to offer the contest only to full-time legal residents of the United States. We apologize for any inconvenience.
How will I get my prize?
If you win, we will work with you to get the information we need from your school including its scholarship guidelines. We will send the check directly to your school on your behalf.
This is just a summary of the rules. Be sure to see the full rules.